Tung oil is extracted from walnut from Bancoule native to Indonesia. It is also called Tung oil or Chinese wood oil. Tung oil gives a durable finish. It offers great flexibility that protects against wood cracks. It offers good siccativity and excellent penetration. ÉVO Tung Oil is 100% pure and natural, unpolymerized and contains no petroleum solvents or chemicals.
Tung oil brings out the beauty of wood grain and can be used to finish food contact surfaces such as counters, countertops, butcher blocks, wooden dishes and utensils, cutting boards , toys, furniture, floors, doors and woodwork. It is used both indoors and outdoors and is ideal for protecting wood constructions, deck projects or garden furniture. For outdoors you must pigment the oil for UV protection.
- No VOC
- Indoor and outdoor use
- 100% natural, slightly golden color.
- Contains no petroleum or chemical products.
- Hardens on contact with air by evaporation and oxidation.
- Does not form glossy film
- Is waterproof while letting the wood breathe.
- Resistant to water, abrasion, alcohol and acids.
- Easy to maintain.
- Do not darken the wood with time.
- May be diluted with Citrus solvent or Iso-Thinner without denaturing the product.
- Non-toxic it is used for surfaces in contact with food.
USE OF TUNG OIL FOR FINISHING WOOD
Preparation of the surface to apply the oil:
The surface should be sanded to finish with a 120 grit paper. Apply to a clean, dust-free wood surface. You can stain the wood with Dye without sealant such as: milk paint, walnut stain, Tandem-1 oil or any other water or alcohol-based stain.
Stain the oil with pigments:
Color only your first layer. Mix the pigments with a small amount of oil to form a paste. When the dough is homogeneous without lumps incorporate the rest of the oil.
Apply the tung oil on the wood:
The application can be done with an applicator pad, with a natural silk dye brush, with bleached cotton linen, with cotton wicks or for large surfaces with our microfiber applicator. Thereafter, wait 20 to 30 minutes after the application of each layer and wipe the excess with a rag or a clean cotton wick, a period of 24 hours is required between the layers.
- 2 to 4 layers are needed for furniture and woodwork with little used.
- 4-6 layers for heavily used furniture, cutting boards, salad bowls or food contact surfaces.
- 6-8 layers for floors.
To improve the penetration and drying process, it is recommended to dilute the oil with ISO-Diluent or with our citrus solvent. Mix 50% diluent in the oil and add 2% to 3% oil driers to accelerate the drying (12 hrs with driers). The siccative also slightly increases the gloss and hardness of the finish.
The first two layers should be diluted and the others applied just with siccatif. (ex: For a finish with 4 layers, two with thinner and 2 without thinner)
** Use pure oil for maintenance of surfaces for cutting for food.
130 to 220 sq. ft/liter according to the hardness of the wood species